Monday, January 23, 2012

Daily Scribbles :: Thin Seasons


Click here to read why I scribble every day.

Inspiration:

"It isn't the great big pleasures that count the most; it's making a great deal out of the little ones."--Jean Webster

I.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm thankful for seasons when life feels uncomfortably full, when I feel I'm stretched thin and am starting to lose my elasticity. It is during those longer, harder days that I see and appreciate all of the good things in my life.

We are entering into this season once more. Work demands more time than it already owns. Life demands more--more time, money, energy, self. I'd like to think that I'm not easily derailed, that I can segue from one season into the next without losing my cool or getting flustered.

But I lost my cool last week. 

I allowed myself to sit in a pool of despair for a few hours. I grumbled at everyone and no one in particular. I splashed around and waited till my toes got pruney. Then I got out.

No use grumbling and crying about things I can't change.

We're trying our best to adjust to work days that bleed into long nights, to eating everything out of our pantry and freezer because our budget is so taut you could bounce quarters off of it. 

We're in a thin season.

Thin seasons force me to assess my priorities and be creative and intentional with my time and resources. Thin seasons remind me to celebrate the little things, like having just enough time to hold hands before going to sleep. Great friends. Peanut butter. Happy dogs. A clean house. 

These things are more than enough. 

II.

Dear God:

Thanks for thin seasons. They remind me to celebrate all of the good things you give me every day. Maybe some day, I won't need thin seasons to remember.

Yours,

Bean

III. 

My friend, Nannette, is determined to focus on the blessings in her life and is sharing her reasons to be grateful each week on her blog. Her determination to focus on the good things has challenged me to focus on the good things in my life, too. 

What are three good things in your life? Here are my three:
  1. Mike Fox. And Crosby and Gemma. And our families. And our dear friends. (I'm going to cheat and count all of those people as one really wonderful blessing.)
  2. The Orange County Public Library
  3. Drinking tea with Mike before bed

7 comments:

  1. The baby is asleep, so I can finally comment! We're about to enter a very thin season ourselves. I've decided to only go back to work part-time until the fall. Financially it doesn't make sense, but emotionally, I'm not ready to jump back into 40 hour work weeks.

    Three good things in my life:
    My husband.
    My sweet girl.
    Friends that make me laugh. Hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be praying that you and your family will be incredibly rich--in blessings, wonderful memories and more reasons to celebrate--during your thin season. I can imagine that the decision to return to work part-time was difficult, but I firmly believe you won't regret it. Even as your far-away friend, I can tell that you are resilient, resourceful and creative! You will find a way to make it work. :) Plus, you've got a great partner in Todd and a sweet little girl to make the thin season feel less thin. :) I am rooting for you guys!

      Your list of three is great. :) Such good things!

      Delete
  2. 1. My husband's unusually warm body to snuggle on cold nights.
    2. A newly discovered love for reading yummy novels.
    3. Getting new windshield wipers the day before it rained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Men are like electric blankets! I don't feel bad about putting my ice-cold feet on their warm bodies.
      2. Hooray! Are you reading anything good right now? :)
      3. SCORE! I need to replace mine! Did you marvel at how great they worked?

      Delete
  3. I thought maybe you referencing the Thin Places Shauna talks about... a bit closer to God. Then I realized you were in your own creative way! Love this idea - and relating to it after a season where a lot of pruning took place- you strip away all the excess and are reminded what is important - so glad you chose joy over all the other options! Three good things: 1. my car (very good), 2. my newfound friendship with my Aussie cousin, 3. Hot yoga (warms me up in a different way than an electric-blanket husband, but it'll do for now) =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to go back to Shauna's blog and books to read up on her Thin Places! (If you could point me to the right post or book, that would help a lot!)

      I remember when you pruned back so much of your life here to prepare for your life abroad. :) I think it's healthy, and that it might be a good idea for all of us to do that at some point. :)

      I love your #1 and #2. Such good things. (I'm going to add "Wonderwall" to #1 since they go together.) Your #3 makes me laugh! I walked past a hot yoga studio in DT Fullerton on Sunday with my friend, Janice, who used to do hot yoga there. Lots of sweaty, red people walked out. I tried hard not to stare. I really wanted to touch one of them just to see if they felt much hotter than me.

      I refrained. :)

      Delete
  4. Thin Places - Page 95 of Bittersweet- sorry I thought I posted a response!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a message after the beep. *beep*